Sunday, October 09, 2005

Zebra Stripes from 1983


This was the first sweater I knit with real wool. Was also my first designer sweater. I saw this in an old issue of Vogue Knitting and it was so wild, I had to have it. In the department stores that sold Perry Ellis, this sweater cost close to $400 back in 1982 or 1983. My grandmother bought me the yarn and had to teach me to knit in the Continental style as this sweater required knitting with both hands at the same time. One colour in my left, one in my right I set out to knit this. This was A LOT of fun work. It was a challenge but was so cool to watch the colours working up. I loved this. Think it took me 4 months. I remember binding off the last stitch during the Jerry Lewis telethon in 1983. I was 15 when I made this. Here it is, 22 years later and I am amazed I can still wear this. It still fits! This is probably my biggest accomplishment to date. I still have the pattern and maybe I'd knit it once more just to do it. I think my technique has improved quite a bit since I first knit this

No comments: