Saturday, November 19, 2005

Harry Potter


We went to see Goblet of Fire this morning. All I can say about it is Brilliant!!!!! Absolutely brilliant! I can't remember a series I've ever loved as much as this one. I'll have to re-read the book again, I know there was a lot left out. I didn't find it any darker than the last one. Very enjoyable. I'll have to go again. I had to bite my tongue not to laugh--There's a scene where Harry is in a tub, sans shirt. When he took his shirt off, I think every pre-teen girl in the audience let out a collective sigh. It was hysterical LOL!

Anyway, I started this hat yesterday. Not sure who it's for for Christmas. Well,l I do but seeing as how they're probably reading this, I can't say. You can't see the cable band all that well but its THIS PATTERN I've got some natural yarn that I'll make another one with.


It's funny, all the years I've knit, it's just been straight knitting on needles. I never knit stuff in the round, I think I used circular needles twice in all the years I've been knitting, only used dp's for the first time last month and love them. Now I'm doing lots of stuff in the round.

Also think since I am starting to really love grafting, I'm going to look for ways to make sure I can graft shoulder seams wherever possible. I did it on the neckband of my Aran and I had to do it for the band on this hat last night...I'm really liking it! It's so cool to see there's not a visible seam.

5 comments:

Tallguy said...

Grafting is so cool! This summer, I took a class with Lucy Neatby (from Tradewind Knits -- http://www.tradewindknits.com/) on finishing techniques. I never did sweters because of seams -- I would do everything I could in the round. But now I have no fear of seams! She showed us how to graft shoulders, and the sleeves, and how to pick up for a properly fitting button bands, and the most ingenious buttonholes! She is such a cool lady -- take a class if she ever comes to your area.

I'm doing some nature dyeing (not easy with nothing growing these days) and love your colourful skeins! I need to get working on those store-bought dyes!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, there's that hat. I was wondering where I had seen it before. James and I were talking about it just the other day, and here you are, knitting it up like it was nothing! Can't wait to see it done.

Gewel said...

Was supposed to see HP and got sick over the weekend. I can't wait!!! They are a really great series, aren't they? And of course, your project looks great, too. :)

Jerry said...

TallGuy...Yeah, grafting is cool! Never did it before as it seemed too complex. Knittinghelp.com to the rescue :-) I like seams in sweaters, not sure I'd have the stamina for one in the round....would seem eternally long to me. Thanks for the link...will check it out!

Jerry said...

Ginx-sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. Hope you're back up right quick! Yeah Harry Potter is a brilliant series! Can't beleive there's only 1 book left before she's done. Were does the time go????!

Thanks about the hat...I'm finishing up my second one and will post a pic of the both of them together.