Thursday, December 15, 2005

Aran Afghans, Socks and books of Poetry


First, mega thanks to Dave who helped me locate my comp book with my poetry! Keep that gift in shape Dave!!! I'm happy I have it back.


I'm working on an Aran afghan that Knitty Gritty had on some time ago. It's rather simple, just 7 different blocks to a total of 16 blocks to make a lap sized throw. I mainly did this to use up some yarn my mom had. I like the way it's looking. I'm not looking forward to doing an entire block in double moss stitch-that gets boring but I can lean my head back and close my eyes while I do it...sort of zone out or something. I'll probably have to come up with my own block to finish it as only 7 patterns doubled is 14 blocks and it calls for 16.

Knitty Gritty also did a show on socks today. It seemed she mainly followed the Universal Sock pattern I've been using. I thought she said there was supposed to be variations on the toe decreases and a heel but I can't find it on the site. It was fun to watch anyway. Her knitsters had some cool socks. I really liked the chick in the middle who had a Greek Key going round her instep. I may need to chart that out myself so I can knit a pair. I think I'll download the pattern as she was calling these slipper socks and I'd like a pair like this. I'll find a nice worsted wool and knit them up.

I think I'm gonna go make another Latte in my Tassimo and get back to my afghan.


Listening to Piano in the Dark ~ Brenda Russell

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry, I am glad you are enjoying the afghan. I certainly had a lot of fun designing it and being on the show. I can't wait to see yours when it's all done!

Janet Szabo

Rain said...

Your afghan is going to look great when it's finished.

Glad you've got your poetry back.

Anonymous said...

That's on my list of to-do's for the future.
Hey, why not make one really special block, in memory of your mom? Sinceit was her yarn, why not make one block in her farovite stitch pattern? It would be such a sentimental piece.

Jerry said...

Faerie~ ribbing only socks would drive me nuts too. I've only ever done st. st. ones tho LOL! You're not a bad sock knitter...you just need more going on!

Jerry said...

Janet~ I think I need to order your pattern for it! I see a couple blocks on your blog I really like that weren't in the pattern on the show! It's a very fun project to do!

Jerry said...

Rain~ Thanks....it looks better in person, I can't get a decent picture of it and if I move in too close, you can't see it in context. AARRGGHH! Thanks about the poetry too, I feel better now that I have the comp book!

Jerry said...

Dave~ I like taht idea except I'm not sure what my moms favourite pattern was...she wasn't really a knitter. She did it but nothing really fancy. The cable camisole/jacket i knit her she loved but Janet has a block that is very similar to that that I'm doing now. If I can find some novelty yarn she had, there's one in particular I know I'd do, plain garter st as the yarn was tufted.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry,

The Knitty Gritty website has all the block instructions for the afghan I did for the show. The Taste of Aran Afghan on my website is one I designed a couple of years ago. It's a completely different project. I just wanted you to know that there is a difference in the two projects (although the blocks are probably interchangeable, now that I think about it).

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sean,
Only Jerry and I can really know for sure. (*wink*) Bwahahaha! For fear of being labeled a freak, I'll just say it was a good guess.

Crafty Andy said...

Hey Jerry:

Looks like a very nice way of perfecting stitches in kniting. I may one day do an afghan that is knitted. Looks really good.

Jerry said...

Andy ~ Thanks. It was a very nice afghan and I d/l the pattern right after I saw it on Knitty Gritty. It would be a good way to perfect or practise your stitches, you're right! My grandmother made me make small squares of different stitches when I was learning. I wonder what ever happened to those blocks? Too small to do anything with but it'd be interestig to see them now since I was probalby 9 or 10 when I knit them.

City Wiccan said...

The Aran Afghan looks way too cool! What a great way to use up some yarn. Perhaps I should do that and get my partner off my back about all the yarn taking up space!! LOL

Jerry said...

Celtic~ It's a great way to use up left over yarn. It looks really nice when the blocks are working up!