Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Blooming Borders and seeds


I mentioned a while back, I think in reply to Rain, about a seed stitch jacket I made my mom. Here's a photo of it. I can't remember how many years have past since I knit this but it has to be quite a few since I have no memory of doing all that seed stitch. I can vaguely recall being overjoyed at doing the cabled border. The colour is great and my mom looked good in this.

At the moment I'm trying to get the Aran afghan presentable. A couple of my blocks 'bloomed' when I cast off which I'm guessing I probably did the cast off too loosely. Or maybe a combination of too loose a cast off and too tight when knitting the block itself.

Which brings me to the Great American Aran Afghan. My blood ran cold when I discovered it was the same sort of project...garter stitch border around the block. I'm very curious if the results would have been any better doing a provisional cast on and keeping the bound off stitches live. In the end, you could pick up all the bottom and top stitches on a big circular needle and knit however many rows that you need to as you'd have started right in on the pattern. THEN going back and weaving the strips together.

That sounds as clear as mud, huh? I'm embarrassed to post photos of the afghan as my putting it together didn't do it justice.I think I invented a few new swear words in the process too LOL! I think I need to break down and buy that finishing techniques DVD I saw in one of the magazines round Christmas time. Some things go together perfectly but it's stuff like this that shakes my confidence.

Listening to Restless Gypsy ~ W.A.S.P.

No comments: