Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cable sampler

Well, here's some progress pictures of this Perry Ellis Cable Sampler. This is in need of serious blocking but I'm happy to say this is coming along well. The yarn is old...moths have gotten to it and I've had to do a fair amount of clipping and re-attaching to get out the frayed bits. I'm not at all sure I like this in solid grey now but it is what it is. Here is the "full" sweater:



It's a dolman sleeve so it's knit in one piece starting at the front, adding stitches to knit the sleeves horizontally and taking stitches away to go back to the body. Already I see a glaring fuck up-Oh well.....I don't know how you mothers with young kids do it...I really don't. But I give you credit. I can't wait to move into a nice house with a room somewhere and a lock. There will be a rule that when that door is shut and locked, I am knitting. If you knock on that door for any reason other than to say there is a ghostly apparition of my mom in the house, it will set forth an issuance of fire and brimstone.

Here is the left sleeve




And below is the right.

This is supposed to be done in colour and originally when I knit it, it WAS-each cable panel is a different colour. However, the first time the yarn was too light to support the weight of all the cables and it stretched to a sweater dress length. Those of you who know me by now will not be surprised to learn I was so torqued off that I cut the sweater up to ribbons with a pair of scissors and threw it in the trash.

When I knit it the second time I was in the midst of knitting a Kaffe Fassett and was so not into messing with more colour, I wasn't paying attention and messed the cuffs up-as soon as I got to the top of the shoulder, I began binding off which resulted in cuffs with a 2.5" circumference. No adult human has that small a wrist so I ripped it all out and the yarn went into storage. Shortly after that I began knitting it again but just put it down for several years as I was bloody tired of knitting the same damn thing three times.

Dare I now say that I'm wanting this in the colours it was originally designed in? Will I knit this again in colour? I may but it would have to be with yarn that came pretty dang close to the colours of the original Aarlan Royal yarn this was done in-knitting the same sweater FOUR times is overkill in my mind. Not sure I can handle it a fourth time. Here is the original. Gorgeous, eh?

And the sweater isn't bad either, is it? ;-)

P.S. Have I mentioned I'm seriously contemplating knitting another Kaffe Fassett? :-)

No comments: