Monday, October 15, 2007

Lace

I thought I'd take a progress picture of this now. This is a Halloween Knit Along on Ravelry I thought I'd try. The dragon shawl I tried a while back was too damn hard but lace is something I've never done and wanted to see if I could do it.

This is proving to be a lot more enjoyable than I thought. It's challenging enough to keep you on your toes but not so hard that I'm throwing it across the room and inventing new curse words. The one thing I'll say is this requires INTENSE concentration. I can't even think of anything else when I do this.



You probably can't see theme even in the close up but there's glass seed beads in there too. Not very many right now but they're there. It looks amazing in person...they are black with a gunmetal hole so there's enough glitz without being too gaudy. Im not exactly sure yet what makes this a Halloween themed shawl...we're supposed to find out with the last clue which I think is posted next Saturday. I'm not going to be anywhere near that yet. I'm only on row 35 and there's 80 rows total for the first set of instructions. When I look at this in pictures I'm still having a hard time believing this came from my hands....I've seen some who are further along and it just looks amazing! I think I'm getting addicted to lace knitting. I can't wear shawls but nothing saying I can't knit 'em and throw 'em over the piano or a window or something. Aren't shawls strewn about a house sort of bohemian anyway? I like that idea.

I also found this video on Continental Knitting in a group on Ravelry. This is so helpful. I've been wanting to learn to do this better for a while now and this has helped a lot. I could knit Continental, though slowly, but I was doing it backwards. It worked out ok, I just had to work into the back of the stitches but this video is really cool.

Update on the Harmony needles from Knit Picks....get 'em!!!! I don't want to stop knitting now. They are amazing...very comfortable, very fast and just a pleasure. I hate to put my knitting away at night now LOL! They are worth every penny, at least I think they are.

No comments: